This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1387703



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 475689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ3277 NESTON ROAD, Willaston Village 794-1/9/119 (North side) Christ Church


Parish church. 1854; north aisle added in 1926. Church by Fulljames & Walker; north aisle by B Miller. Tooled red Bunter sandstone in squared coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and timber and stone porch; green Westmoreland slate roofs with coped gables. PLAN: 2-bay chancel; 4-bay nave with north aisle, south porch and east bellcote. EXTERIOR: nave and chancel on plinths; diagonal buttresses to chancel; angle and diagonal buttresses to nave. East window is of 3 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil tracery in the head. Chancel windows are single trefoil-headed lights beneath quatrefoil tracery set in moulded rectangular surrounds. South porch is steeply gabled and scissor braced at the front: south door is boarded with strap hinges. Nave windows are 2 centred and have 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath trefoil tracery. The north aisle and vestry additions have gabled windows with mullions, carved as angels and the clerestory windows are trefoils. West window is of 4 lights with octofoil and mouchette tracery in the head. Moulded sill string beneath windows which generally have hoodmoulds with fruit ball stops. Chancel has wheel cross on the gable; bellcote is gabled with single pointed opening. INTERIOR: oak panelling flanks the panelled reredos and is fixed to the sanctuary side walls. Arch-braced chancel roof with exposed rafters and ashlars. Two large and one small arch separate the north aisle from the nave. The roof is arch-braced supported by elaborate corbels which consist of shafts which rise from deep clusters of vines. The rafters are exposed with ashlars as in the case of the chancel. Oak altar has 3 panels with trefoil motif. Altar rail with shield decoration, front of choir stalls with fruit motif attached to linenfold fronted reading desk. 1929 pulpit has a simple Gothic motif. Octagonal font with oak and metal strap banded cover. Stained glass by Wailes and Kempe in east window and chancel.

Listing NGR: SJ3286477796

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 32864 77796


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2015 at 07:28:50.