This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1386165



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Salford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8298NE ST PHILIP'S PLACE 949-1/19/92 (North side) 31/01/52 Church of St Philip


Formerly known as: Church of St Philip BANK PLACE. Anglican church. 1825. By Sir Robert Smirke. Ashlar, roof not visible. Neo-classical style. Undivided plan, with Ionic portico advanced to S with round bell-tower over. EXTERIOR: expressed as 2 storeys for galleried interior. Symmetrical S front has central projecting bow-fronted porch with Ionic colonnade and balustraded parapet. Central door in simple Doric architrave flanked by round-arched windows. Above the parapet, the bell-tower rises: engaged fluted shafts with stripped-down Corinthian capitals carry cornice. Narrower upper stage has plain pilasters each side of round-arched openings (alternately blind), and domed stone cap. Further doors each side of portico, then 3 bays, with upper round-arched windows linked by continuous string course and sill-band over square lower windows in moulded architraves. 3-bay E end with slightly advanced outer bays housing doorways with round-arched windows over. Tripartite pedimented window in central bay. North wall of 9 bays with upper round-arched windows linked by continuous sill-band and string course. W front has advanced central bay with pediment, and 3 doorways, the central door having entablature carried on console brackets. 3 round-arched windows above, part blind. Round-arched windows in outer bays, over blind lower windows. INTERIOR not inspected. The church is a reproduction of Smirke's All Saints, Wyndham Place, London.

Listing NGR: SJ8264098619

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 82640 98619


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Oct-2015 at 08:39:59.