This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1385640



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471044

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3179 LAMBETH ROAD 636-1/4/462 (South side) 27/09/72 Imperial War Museum


Bethlehem hospital for the insane, now museum. 1812-14, extended 1835, 1844-46. By James Lewis, surveyor to the Bridewell and Bethlehem Hospitals. Enlargements and alterations by Sydney Smirke and P Hardwick, 1835 and 1844-6; converted into museum c1936. Damaged and restored after World War II. MATERIALS: brick with stone details and hipped slate roof. PLAN: central block of 3 storeys and basement, 17 bays surmounted by octagonal dome on drum with copper roof which contained chapel and replaced original cupola in 1840s; dome rebuilt after fire in 1970s. Side wings of 1844-6 now demolished. EXTERIOR: front has projecting section of 11 bays surmounted by stone balustraded parapet; stone hexastyle Ionic portico to central 5 bays (also of 1840s) with pediment containing coat of arms and inscription on frieze: "Hen. VIII. Rege. Fvndatvm. Civivm. Largitas. Perfecit". Wider central entrance with panelled pilasters supporting entablature with cornice, smaller flanking entrances. Ground-floor windows with moulded stone architraves and aprons. 1st-floor windows similar but with entablature and cornice; 1st-floor sill band. 2nd-floor small windows with moulded stone architraves. Long, plain wings to returns with round-headed windows. INTERIOR: much altered. HISTORICAL NOTE: hospital founded in 1246 and associated with the insane from 1400. Moved from Moorfields to Southwark in 1812 and to Beckenham in 1926. The surrounding grounds are now the Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park.

Listing NGR: TQ3141179148

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31411 79148


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 07:09:44.