This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1383017



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/154 (North side) 12/11/53 No.15 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))


House with shop, now shop with flat over. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19. Ashlar stonework, colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, single wide bay. Ground floor has projecting shop front of late C19, with fielded panel stall risers, plain display windows to either side of deep recessed central glazed door, on right a quarter-round window returning to what may be a former doorway, now a matching window, slim fascia with moulded cornice and lead flat roof. Upper floors have a wide shallow canted bay window with lead flat roof below parapet line, incorporating sash windows of 15+25+15 panes to first floor and 9+15+9 panes to second floor, with dentilled mould at each level. The medieval string course is pierced by second-floor window, and to left is a narrow buttress without offsets. Stack to left on raised coped verge. INTERIOR: only partly inspected. Ground floor shop has 4-compartment ceiling with moulded beams, and a flat 4-centred arch through the rear wall. C20 stair to first floor, and stone newel reported for upper floor. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).

Listing NGR: ST5502445800

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

National Grid Reference: ST 55025 45798


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 01:36:26.