This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1382243



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wootton Wawen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482609

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD 1457-1/5/170 (East side) 06/02/52 Manor Farmhouse


Farmhouse, now house and 2 flats. C16 with rebuilding early C18 and 1980s alterations and additions to left. Timber-framed with plaster infill and mainly whitewashed reddish-brown brick to right; plain-tile roof. Central hall with cross-wing at either end, the north wing is mainly timber-framed, the central block and south wing are brick. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics to gables of wings, 4 first-floor windows arranged 1:2:1. North wing has close-studded timber-framing to ground floor surmounted by small square timber-framing with angle braces. Entrance to centre range: 4-panel door with overlight with glazing bars, wooden doorcase and coved hood carved with palm leaves, a basket of fruit and flowers on carved console brackets. Above is a fire insurance mark. Entrance is flanked by multi-pane casements with wooden mullion and transoms with flat brick arches and raised keystones. To north range a multi-pane casement window. First-floor band to centre and south wing, continues to right return. First floor has casement window with lead cames to north wing. Centre range has 2 multi-pane casements with wooden mullion and transoms under flat brick arches with raised keystones. To south wing a C20 casement window. Casement window with lead cames to gable of north wing; C20 casement to gable of south wing under flat brick arch. Dentil eaves cornice to centre range. Gabled roofs. Cluster of 3 internal stacks to junction of north wing and centre range, 2 are diagonal and one is renewed; further internal stack to right. Right return, ground floor, has c1990 French windows; C20 casement window. First floor has tripartite casement window with wooden mullion and transoms, remains of flat brick arch and sill; further casement has flat brick arch with raised keystone. Dentil eaves cornice. INTERIOR: winder staircase to central range has one flight of barley-twist-on-vase balusters and to side of this a partition wall of small timber-framing. 6-panel doors. Ground-floor room to south wing has moulded panelling, 4-panel cupboards to sides of stack with radial glazing to heads; C17 marble chimneypiece, beamed ceiling, cornice. First-floor room, south wing, has moulded panelling and wainscoting, 2-panel cupboard door; bolection-moulded fireplace. 6-panel doors. To attic, south wing, extensive timber-framing, chamfered beams, wall plates. North wing not inspected. EXTRA INFORMATION: The Wootton Wawen Report considered the north wing to be a survival from a single- or double-ended hall building of which the present central and south elements represent a rebuilding. The hood above the entrance may have been brought from elsewhere in the early C19. Rebuilding c1700 was likely to have been the result of a general programme by King's College, Cambridge, to which the area had been endowed by Henry VI in 1414. Forms part of a good range of farmhouse and associated farm buildings which include the Barn Range (qv), Cart shed with Stable and Hayloft (qv) and Stables (qv). (The Wootton Wawen Project: Bassett S: Interim Report: University of Birmingham: 1983-1989: 18; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 482).

Listing NGR: SP1521063601

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 482
Bassett and Rosser, The Wootton Wawen Project: Interim Report, 1983-1989,

National Grid Reference: SP 15210 63601


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 03:58:59.