This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1381705



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-May-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3103NW MANCHESTER STREET 577-1/46/424 (East side) 13/05/92 Nos.14, 15 AND 16 Kentfield Billiard Rooms


Billiard rooms. 1810-1824. Stucco. Roof obscured by parapet. One storey over basement. The elevation is symmetrical about a broad, round-arched entrance. There is a flat-arched, tripartite window to either side. Greek Revival Style. The entrance has a keystone and a panelled lintel with fanlight above. Its jambs are rebated and given a quarter-round chamfer. The aedicule surrounding the entrance consists of a pair of Tuscan pilasters with incised key panels. An identical pilaster can be found at each party wall. The wall surface running between pilasters and windows is rendered as banded rustication. The windows have a moulded sill band, which has been interrupted on the right by the insertion of a broad entrance of C20 date. Across the top of the elevation runs a broad entablature which sets forward above each pilaster; each of these projecting imposts is ornamented with a single laurel wreath. INTERIOR: not inspected. By 1824 this was one of 4 billiard rooms in Brighton. Between 1920 and 1927 it served as the Brighton Boys' Club. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 60; Baxter: Stranger in Brighton and Directory: Brighton: 1824-).

Listing NGR: TQ3142903986

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Baxter, , Stranger in Brighton and Directory, (1824)
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 60

National Grid Reference: TQ 31429 03986


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381705 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Oct-2015 at 12:45:56.