This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380829



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3105SE RICHMOND TERRACE 577-1/28/758 (East side) Brighton College of Technology & attached walls, gates & railings


Technical college. 1895 and 1909, altered 1927 and 1935. Red brick laid in English bond with dressings of terracotta, roof of slate. The first stage of the building was the ornate, almost central section of 3-window range, which extends deep into the site; this was built as Brighton Municipal Technical College in 1895-6 to the designs of Francis JC May, Borough Surveyor and Engineer; the north wing was built in 1909 as premises for training teachers, and was incorporated in the Technical College in 1927; the south wing was added in 1935. EXTERIOR: 3 and 5 storeys over basement, 14-window range. Ground floor faced with banded terracotta; steps up to an elliptical-arched entrance, the banding carried through as a Gibbs surround. 4 flat-arched windows to either side with segmental transoms and paired toplights, and the arms of the city between the first and second windows on either side; cornice and fascia, the fascia lettered 'MUNICIPAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE'; the upper part of the central bay has a window to each of 3 storeys enclosed under a single, round-arched architrave, each window being tripartite with a pediment to the central section, of different design on each floor; the third-floor window altered; a pair of flat-arched windows to the 4th floor; the whole central bay flanked by octagonal piers with decorative cornice between second and third floors and elaborate pinnacles at 4th floor; shaped and pedimented gable, the tympanum of the pediment decorated with arabesques. The flanking bays have 2 storeys of flat-arched triple windows with toplights set in a slightly projecting panel of terracotta which is crowned at cornice level by an open pediment through which a bracketed antefixa is pushed. The north wing has flat-arched windows with toplights to the first and second floor, the central window to the first floor having a terracotta architrave consisting of blocked pilasters and open pediment between pinnacles; the south wing is similar except for a round-arched carriage entrance to ground floor, ground-floor windows with toplights, and no first floor architraves. Bracketed cornice to all but central bay, with parapet; corniced ridge- and side-stacks. INTERIOR: the vestibule, staircase hall, and landings to the first and second floors are decorated with glazed and relief-moulded tiles, to dado, filling, frieze and cornice; elliptical arches either side of hall and to east side of landings formed of ornate pilasters and equally ornately treated intrados and flanked by similar pilasters; on all floors and on the staircase are didactic tiled frames enclosing a round-arched panel displaying 4 varieties of marble in each panel. The dogleg staircase is in 3 separate flights from the basement to second floor, with elaborate wrought-iron newel to basement, Neo-Jacobean wooden newel to ground and first floors, scrolled wrought-iron balusters and moulded rail; the staircase turns round 2 tiled columns of composite form with adapted Corinthian capitals and a round, linking arch at ground and first floor, ending in newel posts at the second floor. There is one room on the second floor, at the north end of the building, fitted out like the hall of a board school with dadoes and arched trusses to the roof; it is now divided into 2. Elaborate brick walls to street and entrance with terracotta coping; octagonal gate piers decorated with blocking and ornate caps, the wall between swept up at intervals with small decorative pediments; elaborate cast-iron and wrought-iron gates to entrance, entrance gate piers and carriage entrance, with railings flanking carriage entrance. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Listing NGR: TQ3160905015

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31609 05015


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 01:37:40.