This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380550



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3503NE GREENWAYS, Ovingdean 577-1/52/989 (West side) 13/10/52 Church of St Wulfran (Formerly Listed as: OVINGDEAN St Wulfran's Church)


Anglican church. Chancel and nave early C12, tower late C13, porch C19, restoration of the church 1867, south chapel 1907, north-west vestry c1985. Flint with stone dressings; roof chiefly of tiles, but that to the north side of the nave and the north-west vestry of slate. EXTERIOR: one round-arched lancet to east end and one each to either side of chancel; the south-east chapel has a single lancet in the east end and a blocked arch in its west end; south side has two 2-light windows with cusped lancets either side of the gabled porch which has a pointed chamfered arch; the easternmost of these windows is set under a massive relieving arch which, like the blocked arch in the south chapel, is a relic of a former south aisle. The north side has 2 lancets and a blocked, round-arched doorway; the vestry has 3 round-arched lancets and a 4-light flat-arched window with hoodmould to the west. Tower of 2 stages; 2 lancets to the lower part of the second stage, south and west, and 2 to upper part, south and north; corbelled circular stack to south-east corner; pyramidal spire with weathervane. INTERIOR: the chancel has aumbries either side of the altar, low down; one low pointed-arched opening, and another higher round-arched opening, both giving onto the south chapel in addition to a pointed-arched entrance presumably of 1907; the east end is painted with scenes of the Passion; crown-post roof, the ceiling and timbers stencilled to designs by CE Kempe, 1867; chancel arch rebuilt as one central round arch with a lower round arch on either side 1865-7; rood figures under a canopy in a late Gothic style by CE Kempe, 1907; boarded ceiling to nave; pointed arch to tower; stained glass in the nave and tower by CE Kempe. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Typed guide in the church).

Listing NGR: TQ3553803560

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 35539 03559


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 07:45:11.