This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1379221



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2785NW KEATS GROVE 798-1/28/952 (South side) 11/08/50 No.10 Keats House


Semi-detached pair, designed to appear as one house, known when built as Wentworth Place; now converted to one house being a house museum. c1815-16. Built for antiquary & critic Charles Wentworth Dilke and writer Charles Armitage Brown; altered c1839 and late C20. Stucco with plain 1st floor band. Slated hipped roof having projecting eaves and tall chimney-stacks on both returns. 2 storeys and basement. Double fronted with 3 windows plus 1 storey 2 window extension at east end added c1839-40. Ground floor openings in shallow, round-arched recesses. Round-arched doorway with splayed reveals, fanlight and panelled door approached by steps with cast-iron railings. Ground floor square-headed casements with cast-iron balconies. 1st floor and extension, recessed sashes. Rear ground floor has continuous cast-iron verandah. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1818-20 the poet John Keats stayed with Brown in the eastern part of the house (plaque); in 1819 Keats composed "Ode to a Nightingale" here, and Dilke let the western house to the family of Fanny Brawne, to whom Keats became engaged. The houses were combined into one by Eliza Chester, retired actress, in 1838-9. Now the Keats museum.

Listing NGR: TQ2710885666

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27108 85666


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379221 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 10:39:28.