This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, WALL AND LAMP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, WALL AND LAMP

List entry Number: 1378979

Location

NUMBER 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, WALL AND LAMP, 4, THE GROVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2887SW THE GROVE 798-1/5/1607 (West side) 10/06/54 No.4 and attached railings, wall and lamp

GV II*

Detached house. c1688 built by William Blake; some later alterations. Red brick, heavily repointed, with plain brick band at 1st floor level. Tiled roof with dormers and moulded wooden eaves cornice. 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement. 4 windows. Wooden doorcase with shaped brackets to hood; overlight and panelled door. Segmental arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain good original panelling and staircase. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas. Attached wrought-iron railings, possibly Edwardian replicas of early to mid C18 type, on low brick wall to forecourt. Gateway with lamp overthrow having Windsor type lantern. HISTORICAL NOTE: this is the least altered of the six Blake houses in The Grove. (Survey of London: Vol. XVII, The Village of Highgate, Part I: London: -1936: 77-94; RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 90).







Listing NGR: TQ2817887276

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Village of Highgate The Parish of St Pancras Part 1: Volume 17 , (1936), 77-94
Other
Inventory of the historical monuments in London Volume 2 West London excluding Westminster Abbey, (1925)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28180 87276

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2016 at 12:54:14.

End of official listing