This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1378141



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newdigate

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290283

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NEWDIGATE C.P. CHURCH ROAD TQ 14SE 8/168 Church of St. Peter 11/11/66 II*

Church. C12 and C13 with C15 belfry and north aisle of 1877, restored in C19. Sandstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings, snecked sandstone on vestry. Weatherboarded tower. Horsham slab roofs with wood-shingled broach spire. Nave and pentice aisle to south, flat-roofed aisle to north. Chancel to east with vestry to north, square-tower to west and porch to south. C19 fenestration on nave and aisles, of two and three foiled-head lights. Perpendicular style tracery window on east end of north aisle, 3-light trefoil-head, ogee hood mould tracery on west window. C13 lancet fenestration on chancel to north and south, two-light C13 window to south. East window of 1876-7 following earlier design with three- stepped lancets under common relieving arch. Offset tower to west with offsets hipped. One 3-light square-paned window on north and south sides to base. Double doors to west in 16-centre arched head under 5-light, fixed, diamond-mullioned window. Broach spire above. Gabled south porch and double doors. Priest door to south side of chancel. Interior:- C15 bellcage to west with double scissor type bracing to chamfered main posts, on all sides. Two bay round pier arcades with ten-sided caps and half- round pier responds to south. North aisle roof on corbelled eaves, panelled chancel roof in dog-tooth cornice band. Fittings. C14 round-head piscina in south wall of chancel. C15 ogee-head piscina in south aisle. Old west gallery front of 1627 now set up under tower. 5-bay screen with quatrefoil and foliage tracery. Late C19 stone font on octagonal stem. Octagonal bowl over. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.382. V.C.H. SURREY VOL III (1967 Edn).

Listing NGR: TQ1976442059

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1902)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 382

National Grid Reference: TQ 19764 42059


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378141 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 07:10:28.