This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1376146



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1998

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470138

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




Deansgate Station


Railway station. Dated 1896. Built of red brick with blue brick bands and stone and terracotta dressings, slate roof almost entirely hidden from the street. On a very angular site with the entrance at the sharply curved corner. Two stories in a Baronial style. Paired entrances on the corner with terracotta surround, pointed arch doorways with mock portcullises, gabled heads on colonettes, paired between the doors. Blue brick base with stone banding, band at first floor cill level, machicolated band at eaves level, parapet stepped up and down as mock battlements. Shield with date 1896 and stone scroll carved with the original name KNOTT MILL STATION. The first floor has a paired window over the doors and single ones on either side, all 1 over 1 plate glass sashes with carved stone heads. A turret pilaster frames this central feature on either side. The left return has a single and a tripartite cross framed casement below and similar 2 over 2 sashes above. The right return has two original framed shopfronts with later windows, and sashes above as before. Interior: Opened as Knott Mill in 1849 on the Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway. The line was owned jointly by the London and North Western Railway and the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway from the start of operations. This was one of the first truly suburban railways and was instrumental in the development of its hinterland. It was rebuilt at street level in 1896 by Robert Neill and Son at the cost of o20,000. The line was electrified in 1931 and the station was renamed Deansgate in 1974. Reference: Gordon Biddle, Victorian Stations, 1978, p.198.

Listing NGR: SJ8343097525

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Biddle, G, Victorian Stations, (1973), 198

National Grid Reference: SJ 83430 97525


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376146 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 06:24:01.