This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1375834



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469813

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ4166 1932-1/6/142 10/01/72


Nos.6-11 (Consecutive)



Row of 6 town houses. 1872. By John Douglas as architect and developer. Ruabon red brick; some plaster panels and terracotta; red-brown clay tile roof. A varied but disciplined rhythm in Douglas's Germanic manner, flanked like his adjoining Zion Chapel (qv) by spired octagonal turrets. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with second floor partly in the high, steep roofs. Well-executed brick detailing with boldly corbelled left turret, mullioned and mullioned and transomed casements and panelled gables with some plastered lozenges. Mullioned and transomed ground-floor windows. Panelled doors with wrought-iron furniture, some covered, in varied porches. First and second-floor windows are mullioned or mullioned and transomed; some purpose-made leaded and painted glazing in upper lights. Sequence as follows: left bay with jettied first floor to end, hipped roof and hipped dormer facing Zion chapel, porch then octagonal turret with lead finialed spire to front : second bay with hipped dormer; broad third bay with great finialed half dormer, and with hipped canted bay window to ground floor; fourth bay with broad gabled dormer; gabled fifth bay with 2-storey canted, parapeted bay window; gabled sixth and seventh bay, the latter with a 2-storey hipped canted bay window and slender turret with steep spire and weathervane, marking the corner between Grosvenor Park Road and Grosvenor Park. The right end is more simply expressed than front and left end. 4 great ribbed chimneys. INTERIORS not fully inspected but retain Douglas detailing, some of very high quality. The houses were highly praised by Raffles Davison, noted by Muthesius and acclaimed by the Chester Archaeological Society as distinguished townscape between the then recently constructed City Road from the railway station and the 5-year-old Grosvenor Park where Kemp was designer and Douglas architect. (Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 112-5, 243, 250).

Listing NGR: SJ 41182 66400

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (1991), 112-5, 243
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (1991), 250

National Grid Reference: SJ4118266400


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 08:44:54.