This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

ENGLISH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF WALES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENGLISH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF WALES

List entry Number: 1375749

Location

ENGLISH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF WALES, CITY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469728

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 CITY ROAD 1932-1/6/50 (West side) 10/01/72 English Presbyterian Church of Wales

GV II

Presbyterian church. 1864. By Michael Gummow of Wrexham. Stucco front, brick sides and rear, grey slate roof. EXTERIOR: Ionic front has full height 4-column portico in antis. Plain cast-iron railing to forecourt, on stone plinth, with 3 pairs of iron gates having lattice dogbars, double lockrail and foliar top-rail with spears; square panelled cast-iron posts; simple gate to sunk yard, right. Behind the portico the wall has sillband with central recessed panel; a now blank architraved opening to each side with pilasters, frieze and cornice. A pair of doors of 5 fielded panels in each return wall of portico. A blank panel with architrave frieze and cornice on face of each wing. The gallery has 3 probably cast-iron lights, 2 with 1-pane hoppers, in portico and a 12-pane fixed light in face of each wing; architraves, friezes and alternating triangular and curved pediments to openings. Dentil pediment to portico. Sides of 6 bays, the first bay stucco, the others brick; 16-pane recessed sashes to basement, one altered. Simple plinth-cap at basement ceiling level; brick pilasters; stone imposts and keys; 18-pane lights with 4-pane stilted fans. The liturgical east end is apsidal. INTERIOR not inspected.





Listing NGR: SJ4116666572

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41166 66572

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2016 at 11:46:44.

End of official listing