This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

LILLESHALL ENGINE HOUSE, KEMPTON PARK PUMPING STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LILLESHALL ENGINE HOUSE, KEMPTON PARK PUMPING STATION

List entry Number: 1375631

Location

LILLESHALL ENGINE HOUSE, KEMPTON PARK PUMPING STATION, FELTHAMHILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hounslow

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469605

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 17 SW FELTHAM FELTHAMHILL ROAD (east side) 787/44/10050 Lilleshall Engine House, Kempton Park Pumping Station

GV II*

Water pumping station. 1902-5, for the New River Water Company, taken over by the Metropolitan Water Board. Yellow stock bricks with Portland stone dressings and a slate roof. Rectangular plan. Single storey; 12-window range. A long range divided into three by pilasters, to a frieze, cornice and balustrade which dies. A lower central porch similarly articulated, has round-arched keyed windows, a central doorway with bracketed segmental canopy and panelled doors, blocked window surrounds. The engine house has tall round-arched windows connected by an impost band, with 2-window returns. The notable chimney is attached to the Triple Expansion Engine House (qv). Interior: contains electric pumps; fully tiled with a gantry crane, a panelled entrance lobby with panelled double doors, steel truss roof. Historical Note: this engine house formerly contained 5 Lilleshall vertical triple expansion engines, two of which pumped from the River Thames to filter beds and the other three to service reservoirs, making it at the time the greatest concentration of pumping power in the country, and with the 1929 Triple Expansion House (qv), part of the greatest concentration of steam power in Europe. A sister station to Cricklewood (qv), to the reservoir of which it pumped. Graded as part of this outstanding group.





Listing NGR: TQ1107770829

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 11077 70829

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2016 at 11:28:14.

End of official listing