This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1375130



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466011

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE3633 COLTON ROAD, Whitkirk 714-1/37/1246 (West side (off)) 26/09/63 Church of St Mary


Anglican church. C15, chancel rebuilt 1901 by GF Bodley; restored 1855-56, re-ordered c1990. Perpendicular style. EXTERIOR: heavy nave and aisle parapets projecting on large corbels. Large 3-light pointed N and S aisle windows with buttresses between, and small arched clerestory windows. West tower with diagonal buttresses embattled parapet on corbels and carved obelisk pinnacles, 2-light belfry, squat lead-clad spire. Gabled S porch, vaulted, stone roof. INTERIOR: short nave with arcades of short octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches. MONUMENTS: Sir Robert Scargill, d.1531-2 and wife, d.1546-7: tomb chest with mourners and recumbent alabaster effigies above. Viscount Irwin of Temple Newsam, d.1688 and wife, d.1746, formerly with tomb chest, fine effigies, the Viscount semi-reclining, his wife originally on his left, now at his head, his daughter who died aged 2, originally on his right, now on his left; pilasters and segmental pediment against wall as background by John van Nost erected in 1697, tomb chest removed (probably from chancel) and figures re-grouped against the S aisle wall c1970. John Smeaton (engineer), 1792, wall tablet on N wall of chancel, relief of Eddystone lighthouse, by Robert Cooke, Smeaton was born in the parish and buried under the chancel. Viscount Irwin by Nollekens, 1810, draped woman with large urn. Lord William Gordon by Henry Westmacott 1824, tablet with relief figure in Highland dress. The chancel S chapel was founded as a chantry in 1448-49. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N (revised Radcliffe): Yorkshire, The West Riding: London: 1967-: 350, 642).

Listing NGR: SE3635033582

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 350, 642

National Grid Reference: SE 36350 33582


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 05:49:46.