This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STATUE OF ROBERT PEEL TO NORTH CORNER OF WOODHOUSE MOOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STATUE OF ROBERT PEEL TO NORTH CORNER OF WOODHOUSE MOOR

List entry Number: 1375010

Location

STATUE OF ROBERT PEEL TO NORTH CORNER OF WOODHOUSE MOOR, HYDE PARK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465890

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12 August 2016.

SE2835SE 714-1/70/1279 05/08/76

LEEDS HYDE PARK ROAD, Woodhouse Moor (East side) Statue of Robert Peel to north corner of Woodhouse Moor II

Statue. 1852. By W Behnes.Bronze statue on a pink-granite pedestal and stepped grey-granite base’. The Conservative politician is shown in contemporary dress, the pose similar to that in a portrait by HW Pickersgill. The pedestal has 'PEEL/ 1852' incised in the front, the statue is signed 'W BEHNES Sculpt.' Robert Peel founded the Police Force when Home Secretary in 1822-27 and 1828-30; in 1829 he introduced Roman Catholic emancipation and was Prime Minister 1834-35 and 1841-46. He fell from office in 1846 after repealing the Corn Laws and died in 1850. Many statues were erected to him; this one was originally erected on Park Row and was moved to Victoria Square in the 1890s where it was placed in front of the Town Hall. It was subsequently moved again to its current location on Woodhouse Moor in 1937.



Listing NGR: SE2893435396

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE2893435396

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375010 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2018 at 05:57:48.

End of official listing