This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1374153

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, THE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dalston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 35 SE DALSTON THE SQUARE (North side) Dalston

8/149 Church of St Michael and all Angels

II*

Church. C12 and C13, partly rebuilt in 1749; 1890 restoration by C.J. Ferguson. Red sandstone rubble; graduated greenslate roof with coped gables. 4-bay aisled nave, the lower part of which is C13, with double open bellcote and north porch; north and south transepts. 3-bay C13 chancel with 1890 north vestry. Nave; blocked medieval south door now forms recess under 1890 rededication inscription. Blocked C18 entrance in west wall. C19 porch incorporates, inside, an C18 font, 2 medieval graveslabs, a carved Transitional style capital and a C17 inscription stone partly covered by 1914-18 war memorial. C19 2-light windows with geometrical tracery. North transept has C19 circular window with geometrical tracery. Chancel: priest's door in pointed arch under pedimented hood. Original lancet windows and small pointed leper window. 3-light east window. Interior of nave: open timber ceiling of 1890, supported on timber columns. Continuous low stone seat along south wall is thought to be medieval. Walls panelled in 1890 with wood from the C18 box pews. South transept stained glass by Clayton and Bell, 1909. North transept organ screen by C.J. Ferguson. C19 font by R.H. Billings with carved oak cover by Sir Robert Lorimer. Chancel: rounded rere-arches to medieval windows. White marble wall plaque to Reverend Walter Fletcher 1846 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson.

Listing NGR: NY3694450162

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 36944 50162

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-May-2016 at 11:44:19.

End of official listing