This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1370736



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ponteland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



27/333 Church of St. Mary 28.4.69


Parish church. C12 - C15. Restored 1810, 1851 by Wardle, 1861 by F.R. Wilson and again in 1881. Squared sandstone and Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave, with aisles and porch, transepts and chancel.

Tower: C12. West door with one order of columns and chevron moulding in the arch. 2 small original windows above. Several other C12 windows on returns also several C14 cusped windows. Bell stage added C14.

Nave and aisles. 3 bays. Vestiges of C12 masonry; extended C13 (see masonry at west end) and again in C15. South aisle has two 3-light segmental-headed Perpendicular windows. South porch C13, reset; slightly-pointed doorway; pointed tunnel vault inside with 3 chamfered transverse ribs. North aisle rebuilt 1810 using old masonry. Low parapets and shallow,pitched roofs.

Transpets: South transept rebuilt late C15 with Perpendicular east window. North transept C13, the gable rebuilt in C19; 3 tall lancets on north and east sides.

Chancel: Long C13 chancel withchamferedsill string rising to form hoodmould over segmental priest's door. 2 original lancets on north side, C14 Decorated windows elsewhere.

Interior: C15 south arcade with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches dying into imposts. Similar north arcade of 1810. C13 chancel arch has re-cut corbels of Adam and Eve, before the fall on the south, after the fall on the north. North transept north windows have shouldered rere-lintels; the east windows have shouldered rere-arches. C14 glass fragments in chancel window heads. Trefoiled piscina in frame of dogtooth.

Many wall monuments, including:- Richard Newton Ogle, 1794 by Coade; John Dixon, 1716 - extremely rustic; Anne Byne,mother, and Anne Byne, daughter 1769 and no date,with interesting inscriptions.

Listing NGR: NZ1658872956

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 16590 72955


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 12:48:53.