This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1370499



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Kirkwhelpington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 239611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/76 Church of St. Wilfred 10.11.51


Church. C14, C18, restored 1884. Dressed stone; west porch and vestry ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Nave, chancel, west porch and vestry.

C18 west porch has battened door and round-headed west window. Lean-to vestry on north side has 12-pane sash window.

2-bay nave has 2- and 3-light windows with Victorian Decorated tracery in C14 arched openings with original labels.

2-bay chancel has priest's door with 2 continuous hollow chamfers. Small 'low side' window to left with cusped ogee head. Similar window on north wall. Other windows on south side are 3-light with Victorian reticulated tracery in original openings. Chancel north windows have genuine C14 reticulation.

East end rebuilt with large 5-light reticulated window.

Top 2 courses of wall added C19. Gabled roof with kneelers and flat coping. Early C18 west bellcote with pilasters and heavily-moulded round-arched cornice. Porch and vestry have open-pedimented gable and square stone chimney.

Interior has chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfers. 2 trefoiled piscinas in nave. Chancel has C14 sedilia with trefoiled heads and similar piscina with petalled drain on fluted stem.

Victorian hammer-beam roofs. Victorian chancel screen, pulpit and altar rails with Decorated tracery. Elegant Victorian bench ends with carved panels and leaf forms.

Perpendicular font from old Church of All Saints, Newcastle: octagonal with shields.

Listing NGR: NZ0116582639

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 01167 82640


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 03:29:15.