This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1369209



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elsfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246568

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ELSFIELD SP50NW 4/48 Church of St. Thomas a 18/07/63 Beckett


Church. Late C12, late C13 and early C15, restored 1849 and by G.E. Street in 1859. Limestone rubble and ashlar; stone-slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch and vestry. C13 chancel has 3 lancets each side, one later extended downwards, and a 3-light east window with flowing tracery. C15 south wall of nave has 2 windows of 3 pointed lights under a square head. Small early C19 porch has an arched entrance containing the old studded door from the C17 square-headed south doorway. Rebuilt north side of the nave has two C19 lancets. West wall has a central buttress between C13 lancets and a double bellcote. Interior: Transitional chancel arch with volute capitals and corner spurs to the bases; lowered side window in chancel with a stone bookrest; C13 trefoil-headed piscina; C19 arch-braced roofs. Chancel walls retain areas of C13 painted masonry and stencil decoration above a C18 mosaic dado and a mosaic reredos of c.1860 by Salviati. Fittings include a Jacobean pulpit, with arched panels, and communion rails with bulbous balusters and a carved pulvinated frieze, probably a reused desk front from late C17 stalls of very high quality. The church has strong links with Christ Church, Oxford which must be a possible origin. C19 stained glass in east window and 3 lancets in nave. Monuments include a C18 marble wall monument and a C17 black marble ledger. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.591-2).

Listing NGR: SP5405309978

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 591-2
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)

National Grid Reference: SP 54053 09978


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 10:44:26.