This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1368423



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pusey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PUSEY SU39NE 3/162 Church of All Saints 21/11/66 GV II*

Church. 1745-50 for J.A. Pusey; top of tower c.1840. Limestone ashlar to west porch, dressed and coursed limestone with strap pointing and ashlar quoins to other walls; roof not visible. Oblong plan, with transeptal north and south chapels and west tower and porch. Mid Georgian style. Venetian east window; memorial inscription to William White d.1655 in south wall of chancel. Venetian windows to end walls of transeptal chapels which have flat string with cavetto moulded soffit beneath parapet; also two lunettes flanking segmental arch over 6-panelled (2 glazed) door to each of west walls. Semi-circular keyed arch with impost blocks to each side wall of nave, which has similar arch to pedimented west porch; segmental arch over 3-panelled double-leaf west door in porch. Parapet ramped up to west tower of c.1840; similar semi-circular arches with plain string at impost level and bracketed Italian style cornice to Greek acroteria. Interior: Moulded plaster cornices. Carved face of Christ in south chancel wall. Semi-circular keyed chancel arch with impost blocks; mid C19 rail. Venetian screens to side chapels. South chapel has pedimented doorway with Roman Ionic pilasters, wall tablet to Philip Pusey d.1867 and large monument by Peter Scheemakers to Jane and J.A. Pusey d. 1742 and 1753; broken pediment and Roman Ionic pilasters frame reredos with bust over reclining female figure holding book. North chapel has oval tablet by William Bird for M. Dunch, d.1679, which has crude weeping putti flanking heraldic crest at top; Nave has elaborate mid C18 octagonal font, royal arms carved in stone over door and reset incised memorial slab with figures of Henry Dogget and wife. d.1480. (R. Gunn, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1600-1821, 1951, pp,55, 344; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.195).

Listing NGR: SU3604996526

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 55
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 55
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 344
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 195

National Grid Reference: SU 36049 96526


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 03:17:45.