This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1367242



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bettws-y-Crwyn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257099

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/6 Church of St Mary 21.3.68


Parish church. Late C13 or C14, nave partly and chancel completely rebuilt in 1860. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Nave, chancel and south porch. Verge parapets; semi-integral west bell-turret with plinth and set-back to gabled bellcote with chamfered-arched opening. Nave: south side: three C19 windows, paired lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops; chamfered arched doorway between first and second windows from left with 6-panelled doors; south porch with chamfered archway, side benches within and hexagonal datestone in gable: "RESTORED/AD/1860". North side: 3 late C13 or C14 lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Chancel: single lancets to north and south with hoodmoulds and carved stops; C15-style East window with 3 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, panelled tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Interior: C15 or early C16 six-bay nave roof has arch-braced trusses with moulded bases, collars with cusped V-struts above, 2 pairs of moulded purlins, and 3 tiers of cusped wind- braces forming quatrefoil panels; collar and tie-beam truss to west with inclined queen struts and V-struts above collar; probably C19 two-bay chancel roof as nave; 8-bay late C15 or C16 screen has round- arched lights with open tracery and bisecting mullions, moulded tie- beam above and open quatrefoiled panel beneath, and central 2-bay opening with carved spandrels; C17 octagonal wooden pulpit with lugged panels and reader's desk with raised and fielded panels; C18 altar rails with turned balusters but minus centre gate; C19 font with C17 panelled cover; C19 pews with bold poppyheads and the names of farms within the parish painted on; C19 panelled sanctuary. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets. Despite the unpromising exterior, the interior of this church, with its excellent roof structure and screen, is most rewarding. B.O.E., p.75; Cranage, Vol.5, Pp.429-30. - -

Listing NGR: SO2058481368

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 429-30
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SO2058481368


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367242 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 03:03:32.