This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1363287

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Eastry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTRY CHURCH STREET TR 3154 (east side) 13/116 Church of St.Mary 11.10.63 The Virgin GV I Parish church. C12 in origin, largely C13. Restored 1847 to 1902 and particularly 1853. Flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with aisles, south porch, western tower with lean-to annexes. Four stage tower with clasping buttresses thickened at base to octagonal shape and pierced with pointed arches (possibly over the processional path). Blank almond and circular shaped panels in buttress upper stages. Three lancets on main stage in trefoiled arcading with attached shafts. Corbelled top stage. North-eastern rectangular stair turret. C12 Romanesque doorway behind C19 pentice with hollow and roll- moulded orders and attached shafts. Lintel and tympanum altered 1853. Romanesque windows also in north and south walls of tower. Lean-to aisles with quatrefoil west windows. Fine C18 clock face on west wall of tower with egg and tongue circular surround. Largely C19 renewed fenestration, trefoiled clerestorey windows. Lancets survive in chancel, 5 on each side, with buttresses (one on south side with mutilated Sheila-na gig carving). North aisle with two C15 three light windows with square label heads. Single chamfered south doorway with hoodmould in small south porch. Interior; tower arch and nave arcades on same C13 pattern, with round piers or responds on moulded bases with beaded capitals and double chamfered arches. Similar arches in tower to side annexes with flying buttresses to tower, that to north finely moulded and of late C13 date. Five bay nave arcade (the eastern arch pinched). Central southern pier a later insertion, octagonal but with similar mouldings to rest of arcade, with additional stylised foliation on abacus. Continuous hood mould carried over arches. Two string courses at clerestorey level, one forming base of clerestorey windows, the other raised over to form drips. Roof of 6 renewed slender crown posts. Lean-to aisles. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order carried on polygonal corbels with stiff-leaf sprig. Pierced quatrefoils to left and right, and upper stage of nave east wall stepped back. The quatrefoils pass through to trefoil headed arched reveals in chancel. Five bay chancel, with 2 string courses, the upper raised over windows to form drips as in nave clerestorey. The south eastern window has a discontinuous string with the reveal carried down to the lower string, the other window reveals are all splayed. Triple lancet west window with trilobed heads and detached, ringed shafts. Small roundel in gable head. Braced rafter roof. Fittings; piscina in chancel and large moulded and cusped piscina in north aisle;another in south aisle. Aumbry with arched head in north wall of chancel. Altar rails, reredos, candelabra, font box-pews all C19. C18 chandelier in tower of 2 tiers of 5 branches over 10. The octagonal inserted pier in the nave bears a Dominical Circle to compute Holy Days, carved in 1327 and very rare. Wall Paintings; over chancel arch, 4 tiers of roundels, Cl3, 28 of them in all with devices of a trefoil flower, doves, lion and dragon, associated with the rood (corbels survive for a rood loft). Two C18 painted text cartouches nave north wall, dated 1721. Two hatchments of the Bargrave family and sculptured Royal Arms over tower arch, dated 1821 and given by Thomas Moulden of Statenborough House. Monuments; brass in the chancel to Thomas Nevynson, d.1590. Figures of ruffed Knight and his Lady, almost 3 feet long with inscription and arms , reset before the altar Iron tilting helm hanging on wall above surmounted by Nevison crest. Wall monument to John Broadley,d.1784, signed J. Bacon, London, 1785. Medallion portrait bust with oak leaf wreath, the staff and snake of the medical profession and obelisk shaped background. Edward George Bays, d . 1801, wall plaque of an urn in half relief signed Coade and Sealy,Lambeth. Monuments in south aisle to Thomas Pettman, d.1791, wall plaque with urn on reeded column with a shield in relief leaning against its base. Thomas Boteler, d.1768 (erected 1774), black and white marble plaque with enriched scrolled sides and segmental head. John Paramour, d.1737, large white marble architectural wall monument, with Ionic columns supporting broken pediment with achievement on base of 3 cherubs heads. Removed from the chancel in 1865. Reverend Drue Astley Cressener, d.1746, a pair to the last described monument. Facing each other and set into two of the piers of the south arcade are 2 identical black marble plaques with scrolled sides and achievements and gold lettering, to Reverend Richard Harvey,d.1772, and Catherine Springette,d.1762. Robert Bargrave;d.1779. Wall plaque in nave with obelisk on enriched neo-classical style base with cameo portrait and urn. In the north aisle, monuments to Sarah Boteler,d.1777, by William Tyler. Black obelisk surround with figure of a woman leaning on draped urn, pointing towards her infant son, who reaches up to her. She died in childbirth. Richard Kelly,d.1768. White marble hanging cartouche with cherubs heads. Quite coarse. Captain John Harvey,d.1794, signed J.Bacon, London. Inscription on a large black obelisk,below it a circular relief of the battle of Ushant, the "Memorable First of June", with an an angel holding scales and a victor's palm. Said to be from the monument in Westminster Abbey commemorating the battle.(See B.O.E. Kent, II,pp. 307-8).

Listing NGR: TR3110854779

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 307-8

National Grid Reference: TR 31112 54777

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2018 at 06:52:00.

End of official listing