This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1360916

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Croxton Kerrial

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8329 CROXTON KERRIAL CHURCH LANE (North side)

40/350 Church of St John the Baptist 1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1866-68 by G.G. Scott. Chancel of ironstone; nave, aisles and central tower of limestone. Lead roofs. 3-light intersecting ogeed west window and 2-light aisle west windows. 3-light Perpendicular aisle windows, those to north under triangular heads, a distinction repeated at the aisle east windows, now of 3 lights. 3 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows: panel tracery and triangular heads to both sides. 3 stage central tower supported by diagonal stepped buttresses with a string course between ringing chamber and belfry stage. Single slit lights to former, 3-light cusped windows to the latter. Crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. One 2-light cusped Y tracery chancel south window, and a 3-light C19 east window. Against north chancel a C19 vestry under sloping slate roof. Below east window is wall monument to William Smith 1711: inscription panel framed by entactic fluted pilasters, reeded to base; segmental pediment with winged cherub head. Interior. 3- bay octagonal arcade carrying double chamfered arches with hoods. High bases and polygonal capitals. Crossing piers also of octagonal section with high bases and octagonal capitals. C19 nave roof of tie beams on arched braces to wall posts on corbels. Ridge piece, one pair of purlins and principals, all moulded. Nave has 20 benches with poppyhead carved bench ends, the ends with geometrical and tracery patterns, the poppyheads with allegorical scenes and figures. 5 other bench ends attached to C19 benches, all of late C15. Chancel roof as nave, chancel fittings C19 except for altar rail of c. 1630: turned balusters.

Listing NGR: SK8353229497

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 83532 29497

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Apr-2016 at 10:39:15.

End of official listing