This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1360481



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Benington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/5 Purril's Almshouses (formerly listed as 19.11.51 Almshouses by Churchyard)


5 almshouses. C15, rebuilt 1728, altered C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar quoins and dressings, front range with concrete pantile roof and brick coped partly tumbled gables, rear range with shallow slate roof. 11 bay, single storey front range having brick dentillated eaves, with 2 C20 doors and 9 C20 glazing bar sashes, all with segmental brick heads. Beneath the eaves an ashlar plaque records the rebuilding in 1728 by the Charity of Mr. Wm Porril. The side of the rear range has 4 two light sliding sashes to ground floor and 3 similar windows to first floor, all with brick segmental heads. In the side are 2 sections of C15 ashlar frieze of blank shields and cusped tracery. The school and bedehouses were bequeathed by Mr. William Purrill in his will dated 31st July 1725. Source: Thompson, History of Boston.

Listing NGR: TF3973846566

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, , History of Boston

National Grid Reference: TF 39738 46566


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-May-2017 at 09:53:37.

End of official listing