This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1360144



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Folkingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194271

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FOLKINGHAM BILLINGBOROUGH ROAD TF 0633-0733 (north side) 2/57 House of Correction 6.5.52 G.V. II*

Gateway to House of Correction, now in process of restoration and conversion by The Landmark Trust. 1825 by Edward Browning, C20. Limestone ashlar, some red brick. Low slate hipped roof hidden behind high parapet. 2 storeys. High plinth and string course runs round west, south and east fronts. 3 bay south front with central giant order gateway with semi-circular boldly rusticated head with large raised keystone and wooden tympanum with openwork chequered patterning. Gateway leads into barrel vaulted passage to inner doorway with moulded ashlar doorcase with large raised keystone and heavy plank door. Outer gateway flanked by single, semi-circular headed, giant order blind arches with bold rusticated heads, large raised keystones and wooden tympana with openwork chequered patterning. Projecting moulded eaves above, and parapet inscribed: "House of Correction 1825". Central bay rises above with narrow, plain horizontal plaque crowned with moulded pediment. East side flanked by plain, giant order pilasters with large plain rectangular doorway formerly with double doors. Diocletian window above with rusticated head, large raised keystone and glazing bars. North side in process of being refronted in red brick after removal of early C20 brick range. West side flanked by plain, giant order pilasters with blind, giant order semi-circular headed niche with rusticated head and large keystone. Semi-circular headed doorway set inside with diocletian window in tympanum, with glazing bars, and rectangulr doorway below. Several yards to north of gateway steps lead down to underground, brick lined chamber. House of Correction was situated on site of Folkingham Castle, with earthworks of inner and outer baileys still visible.

Listing NGR: TF0746033476

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 07460 33476


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 07:42:35.