This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1358976



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Royal Observatory Flamsteed House TQ 3877 26/G54


2. 1675-6 with later additions, attributed to Sir Christopher Wren. Main North front of 2 storeys. 3 window centre with square 3-storey angle towers. Projecting eaves cornices and domed caps with high vanes to towers. Red brick with white stone quoins, both to towers and to main building. Very tall 1st floor with projecting cornice and balustrade over between towers. Very long plain central window in chamfered stone architrave. Wrought iron balcony. Side windows in moulded, shouldered architraves. Stone string at 1st floor level. 7-window ground floor. Parapet with stone coping has scrolled ramped inner part sweeping up almost to cornice of main block. Moulded architraves to ground floor windows. Door at left opening to walled terrace blocked at either end by 2-storey, 1-window C18 pavilions in similar style with domes. Rear elevation a large canted bay with coved and moulded cornice and balustraded parapet. 1st floor only visible as 1-storey C19 brick extension masks ground floor. Entrance on East, in angle at right, has porch protection with roof sloping up to front parapet. Side and rear windows very long casements in shouldered, moulded stone architraves. Beneath East window a plaque in richly carved baroque stone frame with serpentine open pediment, bears Latin inscription stating that Charles II founded the observatory in 1676. Inside a staircase with barley-sugar twist columns leads to the octagon room containing historic portraits, telescopes and clocks. Coved, octagonal ceiling centre wth decorative border. Moulded and coved cornice with garlands in high relief and royal ciphers. A later staircase leads down to the rear extension now laid out as a museum of historic astronomical instruments.

Listing NGR: TQ3888877321

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

National Grid Reference: TQ 38847 77335


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 07:32:15.