This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1358506



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Havering

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201551

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BROADWAY 1. 5017 Rainham Rainham Hall TQ 5282/5382 6/2 7.1.55 II* GV 2. Built in 1729 for John Harle a merchant and owner of Rainham Wharf. Three storeys and basement. Brown-red brick with red rubbed brick dressings. Plinth with stone cornice, rusticated stone angle quoins, brick bands between each storey, elaborate carved wood cornice, panelled parapet. Five cambered headed sash windows, cased frames, glazing bars. Double keystone, and projecting panelled aprons to each window. The centre one window bay of the front projects slightly for the whole height. Central entrance with very handsome carved wood porch with fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting individual entablatures with an open segmental pediment, richly coffered on the soffit. Doorway has architrave surround with baroque scrolled feature to centre. Door with 12 glazed panels, thick glazing bars; 2 fielded panels to bottom. Flight of 4 stone steps, with moulded nosings, up. Rear elevation, similar, but with recessed aprons to each window, central closed porch with fluted pilasters, triglyph frieze and cornice. A symmetrical central 1st floor round headed staircase window with dropped cill. Churchyard elevation similar, no doorway or central projection, 3 windows. Similar front to south. Flat topped hipped old tile roof, rectangular stacks. The interior is unaltered with many fine contemporary fittings. All the principal rooms are fully panelled, there is a black and white marble floor in the entrance hall, a fine staircase with cut string and twisted balusters, and several good fireplaces. (Reference: Country Life 5 June 1920).

Listing NGR: TQ5209982164

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 5 June, (1920)

National Grid Reference: TQ 52099 82164


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 03:56:10.