This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1358325



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hillingdon

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202724

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 0679 CHURCH ROAD, West Drayton (north side) 804/30/76 Church of St Martin

GV 1/3/50 II*

Parish Church. C13 chancel, C15 arcade, roof to nave and tower, extensively restored and with south porch added by Charles Innes 1850-52. Built of flint with stone dressings and some tiles to tower quoins and tiled roof. Nave and aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch. Stepped tower of three stages has staircase turret with cupola in centre of north side, arched windows and Perpendicular west door. Four bay nave with clerestorey and restored double cinquefoil-headed lights and taller windows with sexfoils to aisles. South porch of 1850-2 of flint with stone dressings, continuous wooden window and arched doorcase. Lower two-bay chancel with restored double cinquefoil windows and traceried east window. Interior has C15 octagonal arcade piers to 4-bay nave; and contemporary roofs. C15 font, octagonal on a nine stemmed foot with figured panels, five with figures of angels, one with a man with a hood and dagger, one with a Pieta and one with a Crucifixion with the Virgin and StJohn. Chancel has restored Early English piscina. Beneath the chancel a C13 crypt was discovered in 1974, remodelled in the mid C17 as a burial vault for the Pagets, with arcaded niches for upright coffins. Several monuments including 2 C16 brasses and 3 memorials to the de Burgh family, late C18-early C19 by Bacon Senior and Junior. North window of 1925-6 by Morris and Co is a Burne Jones design of four figures with angels in the tracery. [See BOE London 3: North West p367.]

St Martin's Church and the churchyard walls, the gatehouse and wall to the north, and the wall running to Gatehouse Nurseries form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ0616379542

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: London 3 North West, (1991), 367

National Grid Reference: TQ 06163 79542


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 02:28:04.