This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1356896



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Haddon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360132

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SP6668 EAST HADDON MAIN STREET (North side) 18/143 02/11/54 Church of St. Mary - II*

Church. C12-C14 with C19 restoration. Regular coursed lias with slate roof, nave, south aisle, chancel and west tower. Chancel, south elevation of 3- window range of 2-light window with reticulated tracery probably dating from restoration by Mackesay 1872-74 or E.F. Low of 1877. Similar 3-light east window. North elevation of chancel similar with organ chamber projection. Gabled roof with ashlar parapet and corbel-table. South aisle of 3-window range of 3-light square headed windows with similar east and west window. Porch between windows 1 and 2 from west end with double chamfered arch and plank and braced door. Ashlar parapet and shallow lean-to roof. South nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light squared headed windows. Nave, north elevation: three 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, gabled roof with ashlar parapets. West tower, Perpendicular 3-stage with angle buttresses, 2- light bell chamber windows to each face of third stage, having cross transoms. Double string course with crenellated parapet above of 1673 with truncated pinnacles. Inscribed tablet illegible below south bell chamber window. Interior: C14 double chamfered chancel arch has C12 double nook-shafted responds with leaf and waterleaf capitals. Nave C14, four-bay, south arcade of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Triple-chamfered tower arch, C19 kingpost and tie beam roof in nave, similar arched braced roof in chancel. Stained glass in north and south chancel windows and east window of south aisle. Chancel, north and centre south wall by O'Connor 1861, and chancel south west by Kempe 1883. Piscina with ogee head and shaft below basin. Triple sedilia with ogee heads adjacent, font C13 with decorated frieze. Monument to Clarke Adams 1776 is a marble tablet with small urn above by William Cox. (Buildings of England: Northhamptonshire, p.198)

Listing NGR: SP6673068166

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 198

National Grid Reference: SP 66730 68166


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 11:13:07.