This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1356416



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Oldham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212444

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SD 80 SE FAILSWORTH OLDHAM ROAD (south side) 6/40 Church of 24/3/66 St. John G.V. II Church. 1845-6. E. H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners. Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles; west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber and vestry. 6-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth, sill band and corbelled eaves.Each bay has a weathered buttress and paired lancet windows under a continuous hoodmould. Spherical triangle clerestory lights. Gabled north porch. 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses, door in first stage, 2-light plate tracery window on second stage, clock faces with elaborate gabled surrounds on the third stage, 2-light belfry openings, and a broach spire with gabled lucarnes above a dogtooth-enriched band with corner gargoyles. 2-bay chancel with 3-lancet east window. Interior: nave arcade with clustered columns having moulded capitals and bases. Arch-braced roof trusses on columnar corbels with carved heads. Arcaded parapet to west gallery supported on cast-iron columns and now accommodating the organ. Stained glass and timber fittings. Rev. R. Loxham, Illustrations of churches, vol. 4, 1846-55.

Listing NGR: SD8985001682

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Loxham, Reverend R , Illustrations of Churches 1846-1855

National Grid Reference: SD 89850 01682


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 10:33:13.