This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND CHAPEL COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND CHAPEL COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1348701

Location

UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND CHAPEL COTTAGE, FIELD ROW
UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND CHAPEL COTTAGE, SHORT ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Belper

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78517

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 3447 NE BELPER FIELD ROW (North West, off) 13/12/79 Unitarian Chapel and Chapel Cottage 950/1/79 II*

Includes: Unitarian Chapel and Chapel Cottage, SHORT ROW Unitarian Chapel in Belper since 1689. Present building most sources 1788 (but Fitton and Wadsworth state 1782 p102). Erected by Jedediah Strutt with his own private entrance and approach road. Ashlar with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Facade to Field Row has round arched entrance with keystone. External cantilevered stone staircase leads to 6-panelled door with quoined surround giving access at 1st floor level. Facade to Short Row has 2-storey gabled porch and 3 round arched windows. Eastern section has a further window. INTERIOR: retains the original tiered boxed in pews beneath which is an arched catacomb. Jedediah Strutt is thought to be buried here. Chapel Cottage lies partly beneath choir seating. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 1890, Vol. 12, Page 13.

Listing NGR: SK3496247838

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Derbyshire Archaeological Journal' in Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 12, (1890), 13

National Grid Reference: SK 34962 47838

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2016 at 06:56:34.

End of official listing