This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1348695



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clifton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/18 Church of St Cuthbert

6.2.68 II*

Parish church. C12 with C13 and C14 additions, partly rebuilt in 1846. Red and calciferous sandstone rubble (and some limestone), the aisle large blocks of sandstone. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables, cross finial and west open bellcote. 2-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Nave walls have been almost completely rebuilt in 1846, but the porch and north aisle appear to be C14 and original features have been incorporated in its rebuilding. West wall of nave is partly original with stepped plinth but with C19 2-light tracery window. South wall has rebuilt C12 doorway within porch. Rebuilt C17 2-light stone-mullioned south window. Aisle has C14 segmental-arched doorway with hollow-chamfered surround. C17 hollow-chamfered 2-light east window with its original iron grille. Similar single-light west window. Chancel has been similarly rebuilt in 1846 with blocked north door and 2 C19 lancet windows. 3-light lancet east window, the surrounds partly original. South priest's doorway in partly-original shouldered surround and 2 reused lancet windows. Interior has open timber roof. Reset C17 stoup. White marble wall plaque to Reverend Moorhouse 1818. Recut C17 font. Single pointed arch into north aisle used as Wybergh Chapel with coat-of-arms panel and inscription of 1738 recording the earlier marriage of the Wyberghs and Engaynes of Clifton Hall. Recess in wall beside altar. Medieval graveslab reset in floor. Pulpit is C19 but with C16 and C17 carved panels. Chancel has reset medieval piscina. C19 choir stalls; onto the back of one of the stalls has been attached an inscribed panel IBD 1683. Panelled timber ceiling. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.69.

Listing NGR: NY5319027045

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 69

National Grid Reference: NY 53190 27045


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 12:11:31.