This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1348003



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walkern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159688

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 2826 WALKERN HIGH STREET (west side)

7/7 Farmhouse at Manor Farm 20.10.52 (formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse)


House. Circa 1700. Red brick in Flemish-bond with diaper of dark headers on front. Rear service wing timber framed and plastered. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2 storeys and attics, L-plan house facing E. Symmetrical single-pile front range with 3 panes. Bellcast to eaves with wood modillioned cornice breaking forward at ends and over central rubbed brick panel with pilasters. 2 windows to each side on each floor. Flush box sash windows with gauged flat arches, moulded architraves and 6/6 panes. Plinth and moulded floorband running around the house. Central 6-panel raised and fielded door with panelled overdoor in wooden doorcase set in recess. Fluted pilasters carry paired panelled brackets and moulded flat hood. Internal gable chimneys. Moulded brick corbels carry kneelers for the brick gable parapets. 4 small openings in S gable. Lower, 2-storeys brick kitchen wing to rear has a large gable chimney. Stair tower in rear angle. Fine interior with raised and fielded panelled rooms on ground floor and dado panelling and moulded cornices on 1st floor. Moulded closed string staircase, with fat turned balusters and moulded newel offsets carved from the solid, rises through 3 floors. 2-panel raised and fielded doors throughout. Bolection moulded fire surround in N room on 1st floor. Formerly called Walkern Place. (RCHM (1911) 225: VCH (1912) 151: Pevsner (1977) 373: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2895226539

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 151
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 373
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 28952 26539


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348003 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 01:15:59.