This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

BARN AT UPP HALL (40 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF MANSION)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN AT UPP HALL (40 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF MANSION)

List entry Number: 1347531

Location

BARN AT UPP HALL (40 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF MANSION), THE WARREN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Braughing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161265

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 42 SW BRAUGHING THE WARREN (north side)

6/4 Barn at Upp Hall (40m of NW of mansion) 22.2.67

GV II*

Barn. Late C16 or early C17. Red brick in English-bond with black brick diaper patterns. Steep old red tile roof with gable parapets on corbelled kneelers. Exceptionally large unaisled barn facing S, on the N side of the forecourt of the house. 10 bays long (about 43m) formerly with 2 large 4-centred arched cart-entrances in the front and rear walls (SE opening remains, others are narrowed or blocked) and a wing not quite at right angles at the W end of the S side, now gone. 2 rows of vent slits some with arched heads and some with straight heads, 200mm wide, splayed inside with segmental rere arches. Fine contemporary roof structure of hybrid style with clasped-purlin upper tier with collars and curved wind braces. Butt-purlin lower tier with queen-struts and curved wind braces. Strainer collars at mid-bay between upper purlins. Flat-laid rafters pass over butt-purlin. Cambered tie beams. E end converted to a chapel in C19 with moulded wooden pointed doorway on S. 2 unusual wall recesses in outside of N wall. 'More spectacular than the house' says Pevsner. (RCHM (1911) 68: VCH (1912) 312- 13: Pevsner (1977) 371).

Listing NGR: TL4090824194

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 312-13
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 371
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 40908 24194

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347531 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2016 at 02:58:40.

End of official listing