This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST LEONARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1345394

Location

CHAPEL OF ST LEONARD, TIVINGTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Selworthy

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265536

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS94NW 4/122

SELWORTHY CP TIVINGTON Chapel of St Leonard 22.5.69

GV II* Anglican chapel. Mid C14, refenestrated mid C15, secularized after Reformation, C16 fireplace inserted in chapel and enlarged at east end, now Dunkery View (qv), 1896 restored and reconsecrated 1940. Red sandstone random rubble, thatched roof half hipped to west. Single cell with cottage abutting east, entered west end. North front: two 2-light trefoil-headed mullions with hoodmoulds flanking lateral stack; west end chamfered pointed arch opening reached by 3 steps, half-glazed C20 door, bell above hung from wooden bracket; south front blocked square headed opening between large raking buttresses, lancet to east. Interior: rendered, blocked east end window and former door connecting cottage. Seven bay arch braced roof largely renewed. Reading desk said to have been made from C18 box pews in Selworthy Church (qv) and mid C19 pews from Milverton Church (qv). The church was restored by the Acland family and the bell is said to have come from their yacht 'Lady of St Kilda'. Prior to restoration, the chapel was used as a school. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Allen, Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).

Listing NGR: SS9331345045

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Allen, NV , The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SS9331345045

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2016 at 11:30:27.

End of official listing