This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1345096



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chilcompton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267816

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CHILCOMPTON CP CHURCH LANE (South side) ST65SW 4/17 Church of St John The Baptist 21.9.60 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15, much rebuilt C19. Coursed and squared rubble, ashlar, freestone dressings, lead sheeting and slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels, north porch, west tower; Perpendicular and neo-Perpendicular. Tower of c1460, embattled, 2 stages, diagonal buttresses, 3-light traceried bell-chamber windows with quatrefoil grilles, polygonal stair turret, 4-light west window, carved heads as label steps, tracery renewed C19. Nave and aisles 1839 by Jesse Gane; 4 bays, buttressses, embattled, slender 3-light windows; contemporary the gabled porch, iron dog-gates. Chancel and flanking chapels 1897 by F. Bligh Bond, 2-light windows, 4-light east window, large gargoyles at east end probably re-used from an earlier fabric. Lofty plastered interior on flag stone, tile and encaustic flagstone tile floors under elaborate roofs; 4-bay arcades to north and south aisles, piers of 4 hollows section. Perpendicular tower arch. C12 tub font: remains of Elizabethan tomb to Richard Seward in south aisle; further C17, C18 and C19 monuments, predominantly by Reeves of Bath. Good brass lectern. Pews, choir stalls, organ and pulpit of c1900. Simple stained glass of late C19. Six early bells. (Atthill, Church Guide, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6469752410

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Atthill, , Church of St John the Baptist Church Guide, (1980)

National Grid Reference: ST 64697 52410


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 01:33:03.