This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1343988

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, WATER LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ospringe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176511

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 06 SW OSPRINGE WATER LANE (west side)

2/105 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul (formerly listed 29.7.50 under Faversham)

GV II*

Parish Church. Circa 1200, with C14 chapel and C15 fenest- ration rebuilt and restored 1858-70 by E.L. Blackburne. Flint with plain tiled roof. South chapel, nave and aisles, north- west tower and north porch. Tower and integral north porch, with stair turret joining the 2 all built 1866. Saddle backed tower in 3 stages with clasping buttresses and enriched details, particularly around the belfry. North east stair turret, lower stage square, upper stage circular, adjoining porch with Romanesque style doorway of 4 orders with zig-zag and rope moulding and attached shafts. Aisles with battlements and C15 traceried square headed windows. External octagonal vice west of projecting gabled south chapel, with 3 offset buttresses, 2 two-light ogee surround windows with sexfoils in the heads, and chapel east window of 3 reticulated lights. South lancet to chancel, and northdoorway of 3 orders, a roll, zig-zag and billet, with 2 attached shafts. C19 fenestration elsewhere. Interior: Continuous nave and chancel, distinguished only by change in (C19) roof structure. Five bay arcade to south, the eastern-most in the chancel, 4 to the north, the western-most to the tower. Broad chamfered arches on square piers with undercut abaci. Double hollow chamfered arch on octagonal responds with moulded caps from south aisle to chapel, with 1 arch to chancel and 1 to nave. Fittings: chancel, all of circa 1860, altar, brass altar rail, tryptich reredos, choir stalls, organ, polychrome tiles, wall paintings of the 4 Evangelists on east wall, painted black arcading, screen to chapel. Ogee chamfered piscina in south chapel, with corbelled niches with crocketted ogee heads either side of east window, and 2 C19 crocketted and ogee wall recesses. North aisle with doorways to rood stair, and re-sited deeply moulded trefoil headed piscina in south aisle. C12 Bethersden marble font with arcading of 5 shallow arches on each face, on 5 shafts with water holding bases. Pulpit, 1894, octagonal of stone, with heavy stiff leaf and surface ornament, open arcaded sides, and attached shafts of various coloured stones. Box pews. Stained glass: by Thomas Willement in chancel (1852-4) south aisle (1851) south chapel 1858-9, and Clayton Bell (south chapel 1865, nave n.d., south aisle 1871, 1874, and 1885). Monuments: Chancel south wall, wall plaque to Robert Streynsham mid 1630's . Black and white marble, with Latin inscription on plaque and architectural surround of Corinthian columns, cornice and frieze with scrolled cartouche over. Standing monument on north wall to Jacob Master, gent., died 1631, atributed to Edward Marshall (B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 410). Shrouded, bearded old man on coved and gadrooned sarcophagus with swags to left and right. Semi-circular arched plaque with cofferred soffit, and supports left and right with strapwork and putti. Latin text on plaque, with angel head and shallow relief and painted ribbons and symbols of death and burial achievement over. South chapel wall plaque, Arthur Whatman, died 1678. Black and white marble plaque on moulded base with heavily foliated scrolls and swag, and triple recessed scrolled surround with drapes and fruit, cornice and raised frieze. (See B.0.E. Kent II 1983, 409-10; see also Faversham Papers, No. 15, 1978.)

Listing NGR: TR0008960195

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 410
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 409-10
'Faversham Papers' in Faversham Papers, , Vol. 15, (1978)

National Grid Reference: TR 00028 60311

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 06:16:33.

End of official listing