This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1342296

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thornham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221280

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 73 43 THORNHAM CHURCH STREET (east)

8/98 Church of All Saints 5/6/53 - I

Parish church. C13, C15 and 1877. Random flint rubble with galletting. Slated roofs. Knapped flint west tower and south face of south porch. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north chancel aisle. C15 west tower having traceried plinth with moulded string course, sound-chamber level string course, late C19 bell chamber stage with plain parapet. North and south west stone quoined set-off buttresses with illegible inscriptions, presumably donors' names; date 1635 on south buttress, futher inscriptions on south side. Quatrefoil tracery sound holes, 2 light late C19 belfry windows. Perpendicular nave and aisles. 5 bay south aisle with 4 3-light 4-centred Perpendicular tracery windows with stone drip moulds with label stops, similar east and west windows. North aisle with same details, but no drip mould heads. Bays divided with set off buttresses. South porch of 2 storeys, knapped flint south face, pebble flint returns, set-off angle buttresses, 4-centred moulded arch with bases and caps, 3-light tracery window above, gabled parapet, 2 ground floor 2-light north and south return windows, semi-octagonal 3 storey parvis staircase tower at angle with aisle, battlemented parapet. 5 bay Perpendicular clerestory with 3-light 4-centred arched tracery windows. Chancel 1877, Early English style details, 3 bays with bar tracery 2-light south and stepped lancet 5-light east windows. Steeply pitched roof, buttresses. Interior : south porch with north and south side stone topped benches, Perpendicular niche on north side of door, damaged holy water stoup, flat boarded C15 ceiling with ribs and bosses. C13 Early English south door re-used, 2 orders of colonnettes with bases and caps, double arches, with C15 wooden traceried headed door with central ogee headed traceried wicket. 5 bay nave arcade of C13 re-assembled in C15; alternate rounded or octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered arches with label stops with carved heads, all heightened by the insertion of C15 octagonal moulded bases. C15 clerestory stage with fine C15 wooden arched braced hammerbeam roof with moulded principals, purlins and ridge, 10 hammerbeams springing alternately from semi-octagonal wall posts on carved corbel heads or from the apex of the longitudinal arched braced wall plates. 4-centred tower door with niches and fleurons to intrados, traces of C16 or C17 lettered texts above. North and south aisles with stone rere- arches to windows and on south side to entrance and parvis stairs entrance bays, delicate octagonal colonnettes with moulded bases and capitals, 4-centred arches. Arched braced C15 roofs with moulded principals and battlemented decoration to wall plates on outer walls. C15 octagonal stone font with traceried stem with angle colonnettes with bulbous bases with ogee heads, bowl with coats of arms with some polychrome traces with heraldic shields, 3 stage stone base 1905. Fine carved set of C15 poppyhead benches with carved arms, one either side at west, 6 at east. Panelled pulpit dated 1631 on C19 stem. Dado only of rood screen, 6 lights either side divided into 2 panels with elaborate traceried heads and bases, much polychromy and fine painted figures of 12 saints and 12 Old Testament prophets dated 1488 with names of donors James Miller and Clarice his wife. Chancel arch, chancel and furnishings 1877. High Victorian Early English with polychrome stone ashlar lining, contemporary tesselated floors and stalls. North chancel aisle with arch from chancel serving as vestry.

Listing NGR: TF7337143446

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 73371 43446

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2017 at 12:56:51.

End of official listing