This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

WEST PAVILION, SOUTHERN AND WESTERN RANGES, BARRACK BLOCK AND STAFF QUATERS TO FORMER ORDNANCE SURVEY OFFICE BUILDINGS.

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST PAVILION, SOUTHERN AND WESTERN RANGES, BARRACK BLOCK AND STAFF QUATERS TO FORMER ORDNANCE SURVEY OFFICE BUILDINGS.

List entry Number: 1339984

Location

WEST PAVILION, SOUTHERN AND WESTERN RANGES, BARRACK BLOCK AND STAFF QUATERS TO FORMER ORDNANCE SURVEY OFFICE BUILDINGS., LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Southampton

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1981

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. LONDON ROAD 5239 West Pavilion, Southern and Western Ranges, Barrack Block and Staff Quarters to former Ordnance Survey Office Buildings. (formerly listed as group of former Ordnance Survey Offices) SU 4312 2/157 2.10.69

II

2. This is the original Southampton site of the Ordnance Survey who moved here from the Tower of London in 1841. They occupied buildings built as barracks circa 1800 which had been turned into an asylum for military orphans in 1816. Early C19 one storey yellow brick entrance block now called Barrack Block with round-headed carriage entrance with keystones. Attached to this is a long range known as the Western Range dated 1867 on a keystone, of 2 storeys yellow brick. Parapet with dentil cornice concealing roof. Sash windows, some of which are triple. Simple doorcases. There are 2 detached pavilions of 2 storeys yellow brick. The west pavilion has a hipped slate roof. The other pavilion known as Southern Range has a cornice. Three sashes each with stuccoed fan moulding above. Simple doorcases. To the south is the former Staff Quarters, dated 1868 on a keystone and of 2 storeys yellow brick with 8 sashes; modillion cornice and band between floors.

Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 42034 12808

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2016 at 01:14:19.

End of official listing