This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1339741



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burghclere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 138026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 46 SE BURGHCLERE HARTS LANE 2/33 Sandham Memorial Chapel


The Oratory of All Saints, Burghclere. 1926, by Lionel Pearson (of Adams, Holden, and Pearson). Built for Mr and Mrs Behrand, as a memorial to Lieut H W Sandham (a brother of Mrs Behrend), who died in 1919 from an illness contracted in Macedonia. The building is a plain rectangular block, with shallow regular panels and a symmetrical front, having a wide window flanked by narrow windows, and a central doorway. Hipped tile roof behind a parapet, with coping stone and broad stone 'eaves' band; there is a lower band tied to the head of the stone doorframe; there are thin stone frames to the windows and a stone plinth. Red brickwork with brindle panels. Panelled double doors. The front (south) is arranged in symmetry with a single-storeyed almshouse on each side, the main part being projected forward of the links to the front of the chapel. Each dwelling has a central doorway with a window on each side; hipped tile roofing, red brickwork with a plinth, brindle recessed panels. Sashes. ½-glazed doors. The chapel building is famous for its series of mural paintings, covering the 3 unglazed walls, by Sir Stanley Spencer, carried out between 1926 and 1932, from designs created earlier and based on his own RAMC experiences and later war service in Macedonia. The pictures have scenes connected with life in army hospitals, and include a large Resurrection on the 'east' wall.

Listing NGR: SU4638160413

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 46329 60830


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339741 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Oct-2015 at 06:23:49.