This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1331334



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Girton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50818

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/72 Girton College


College by Alfred Waterhouse. 1873 with additions of 1876, 1883 and 1886. Red brick, English bond, with black mortar courses and terracotta details to windows, doorways and eaves. Steeply pitched roofs of patterned tiles with crested ridge tiles. Tall ridge stacks. Original plan of sets of rooms with corridor access. In Neo-Tudor style. Two storeys and attics. Pointed arches to hung sashes with plate glass, in segmental heads. Parapetted, five stage gatehouse tower of 1886-7 over vaulted carriageway entry. In 1891 Paul Waterhouse, his son, joined the partnership. Cloister Court, including the dining hall, chapel and part of Woodlands Court was built in 1900-02 in a similar style. The rest of Woodlands Court and the library were completed in 1931-2 by Michael Waterhouse, the grandson, with Sir Giles Gilbert Scott as consultant. Paler red brick, English bond with steeply pitched tiled roofs. Stone surrounds and four centred arches to casements and doorways. Interior: The dining hall has a hammer-beam roof and original light fittings and the library a roof of king-post construction and arch bracing to the tie beams. Pevsner. Buildings of England p.190 Dixon and Muthesius. Victorian Architecure

Listing NGR: TL4245060932

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 190

National Grid Reference: TL 42450 60932


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 05:16:17.