This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1329848



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Crowton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CROWTON C.P. STATION ROAD SJ 57 SE (North side) 4/7 Christ Church II

Church: 1871 by J L Pearson. Tooled ashlar red sandstone. Red tile roof. 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel is one range, north transept and vestry, south porch and bellcote. Projecting gabled south porch has angle buttresses and chamfered 2-centred arched entrance on colonnettes with a label mould. Similar door behind with ornate iron furniture. Moulded sill band and some buttressing on south face. 2-light windows with trefoil heads and geometric tracery in the nave and more complex 3-light windows in chancel. West end is divided by a buttress with a 2-light window to either side. Sanctus bellcote on the gable has 2 semi-circular arched openings and a single similar opening above in its gable. Interior: Nave windows have splayed reveals and depressed heads. Roof has closely set arched-braced collar trusses with a collar purlin. Entry to north transept vestry has an almost semi-circular arch, and a screen of 1920. Chancel divided from nave by low wall and double-chamfered arch. Splayed reveals and arch on colonettes to east window. Chancel roof panelled in.

Listing NGR: SJ5799774563

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 57997 74563


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 09:53:54.