This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1329626



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Over Alderley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58324

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/158 Birtles Hall



Mansion: c.1790 for the Hibbert family, balustrade early C19, interior rebuilt by, Henry Sellars after fire in 1938, and some demolition. Ashlar buff sandstone Welsh slate roof and 3 brick chimneys. 2-storey symmetrical 5-bay south front (2:1:2). Plain frieze and projecting cornice supporting balustrade. End bays have 12-pane sashes in plain reveals with carved classical panels between each pair of windows. Central bay steps forward and has a Ionic porch in antis approached by 4 steps with a pair of doors behind in a simple architrave with a flat hood on consoles. Semi-circular headed niches in the side walls of the porch. Balustraded parapet has Hibbert arms and 12-pane sash above. East front has canted end bay windows and 4 continuous steps between them. Interior: Original stone well staircase with plain cast-iron balusters containing simple tracery and a mahogany handrail. Pair of good Georgian mahogany doors with original brass furniture and a reset cast-iron grate. Remaining fireplaces are a collection from other Georgian houses. Remaining interior of 1938 in a good but restrained Classical style.

The architect was said to have been Sir John Soane though the design lacks real distinction and is unlikely to be his.

Listing NGR: SJ8587874584

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85878 74584


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2016 at 08:45:26.

End of official listing