This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1326778



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brougham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74217

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014

NY 52 NE 10/14

BROUGHAM, NINEKIRKS, Church of St Ninian


Redundant parish church. 1660, on medieval site, for Lady Anne Clifford, porch dated 1841. Red sandstone rubble walls with regularly-spaced buttresses, porch of reeded red sandstone ashlar; graduated greenslate roof with C19 west bellcote. 4-bay nave with single-bay chancel, under common roof. Porch has Tudor-arched doorway with date panel above. Nave and chancel have small round-arched windows in hollow double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Chancel has south round-arched priest's doorway under hoodmould. Windows in east and west walls are similar but slightly taller than those in north and south walls. Porch covers flattened segmental-headed C17 doorway. Interior has much of its original 1660s woodwork; 9-bay roof with collar-beam trusses having curved braces and short kingposts above the collar beams. Original box pews, some on north side to their original height (with restoration) having turned balusters. Chancel screen with turned balusters, but central doors missing. 7-sided pulpit with sounding board. Pedestal font on C20 base is dated 1662. 3 hatchments of arms. Poor box beside door is inscribed and dated 1663. Chancel has plaster wreath enclosing initials AP (Anne Pembroke) 1660. Priest's door screen is made up of carved C17 panels. C17 heavy turned-baluster altar rail. Creed and Pater boards on east wall. Various C18 and C19 wall plaques to the Brougham family, one set into floor. Reset floor slab to Cuthbert Bradley, incumbent, 1624. 3 further slate slabs with brass figures and coats-of-arms are C19, recording earlier members of the Brougham family. Church now maintained by The Churches Conservation Trust. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp.54-6.

Listing NGR: NY5593829963

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 54-6

National Grid Reference: NY 55936 29962


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326778 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 12:15:01.