This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1326774



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tebay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



17/188 Church of St James


Parish Church. Completed 1880, architect C J Ferguson. Rock-faced snecked granite blocks; dressed stone details. Graduated slate roofs. Built on sloping site: Single-storey aisleless nave and chancel; north porch and apsidal western baptistry are 2-storey, with 3-stage bell-turret between. 5 bays overall. Chamfered plinth, with stepped buttresses, to nave and chan- cel; battered lower storey to baptistry and turret. Plank porch door in pointed surround; 2 tripartite windows, with ogee heads, to left. Triple lancet to chancel, 3-light east window. 3 windows to each floor of baptistry. Shouldered heads to belfry openings and store door (below porch). INTERIOR: Polychrome brick with wide, pointed chancel arch; meeting room below baptistry is circular in plan with central column. 1930 polygonal granite pulpit; tapered, cylindrical granite font in baptistry. Good early C20 stained glass by T Curtis of Ward & Hughes (London), including First World War commemora- tive window on south side, and Abbott & Co (Lancaster).

Listing NGR: NY6160404438

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 61604 04438


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1326774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2016 at 10:34:16.

End of official listing