This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1323488



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Long Crichel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107391

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST 91 SE VILLAGE STREET (North side)

5/54 Church of St Mary 18.3.55 GV II

Parish church, C15 west tower, remainder of 1852. Ashlar and banded flint and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with stone-slate margins and end stone copings. Plan: west tower, nave; chancel; north and south transepts. West tower: two stage, embattled with pinnacles and gargoyles; diagonal buttresses west, square set to east; vice turret to north with rectangular loops and an ogee-headed niche; pointed 2-light belfry windows with returned labels; 3-light, pointed west window with vertical tracery; C19 south doorway with moulded, pointed head and canopy porch bearing bishop's mitre. Nave: carved stone cornice; 2-light, square-headed windows with vertical tracery. South transept; brattished parapet; south window of 2 lights under 4-centred head and label with carved stops; single-light, square-headed window west; door with 4-centred head east. Chancel: apsidal in ashlar; crocketted pinnacles rise above buttresses; openwork parapet; traceried single light windows with labels having carved stops. North transept; lancets with returned labels to east and west; pointed, traceried window to north, blank below springing line; 4-centred door to east.

Interior (inspection not possible, description based on RCHM and Newman and Pevsner): general form is Georgian rather than full gothic revival; apsidal chancel with wooden panels of reticulated tracery between radial arched braces; roof divided into small panes; C15 Purbeck marble font with octagonal, panelled bowl and panelled stem; reset brass to John Govys, c.1360. (RCHM, Dorset, 1972, p 258).

Listing NGR: ST9775310272

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 97753 10272


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 05:08:13.