This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1322941



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Darlington

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110604

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/09/2015

NZ 2813 11/74 5195

GRANGE ROAD (West Side), Blackwell Grange Hotel

(Formerly listed as Blackwell Grange (The Europa Lodge Hotel))



Entrance front shows an early C18 central section completed 1710 for the industrialist George Allan, with alterations, flanked by mid C18 wings. Centre of 3 storeys, 5 windows, small proportions. Old red brick, much restored, with parapet before a steeply-pitched, hipped, tiled roof. Rebuilt arches to sash windows with glazing bars. Later projecting one-storey porch section of red brick with stone dressings, including 4 urn finials to parapet. Two-storey, 5-window wings of much larger proportions. Pinkish brick with parapets over wood moulded and modillioned cornices. Pilasters running through parapets support thin urn finials. Hipped slated roofs of moderate pitch. Gauged flat red brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars and stone cills. North wing has a 3-bay right return; but south wing has a 10-bay return providing an imposing south front with long casements along the ground floor. Modern west and north extensions. Set in a designed landscape of early C18 origins that was remodelled after 1805.

Listing NGR: NZ2805613232

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 28056 13232


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 08:16:42.