This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1319439



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Windsor and Maidenhead

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bray

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41102

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRAY UPPER BRAY ROAD SU 9079 (west side) 22/20 Bray 25.3.55 Jesus Hospital, including Chaplain's House, the Almshouses and the Chapel G.V. I

Almshouses (formerly 40 now 16), Chaplain's house and Chapel. Dated 1627, altered C20. Founded by William Goddard, and under the care of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers. Brick, in English bond, with stone dressings. Large quadrangular plan with chapel in the centre of the west side and Chaplain's house to the left of the main entrance-way through, which has a meeting room over. One storey, Chaplain's house is 2 storeys. Almshouses: all one storey. North and south sides of the quadrangle are identical. Each 5 bays. Chimneys are placed diagonally on plan having 6 chimneys with coupled shafts on large rectangular bases, and clay pots on each side. Stone window openings with chamfered mullions; metal casements with diamond panes, of 2-lights. Central, gabled dormer to each dwelling with two, 2-light windows, lighting a vestibule below which has plank door and a 4-centred stone entrance archway. Chapel: coped gable to quadrangle with a large window of 5, trefoiled lights with vertical traceried head. Below this is a plank entrance dooorway under a 4- centred arch within a square head. There is a bellcote on the ridge. Road (entrance) front: symmetrical. Centre gable contains the entrance with a 4-centred head under a square containing moulding and label. Above this the former Chaplain's rooms, now meeting room, with a window on either side of a segmental-headed niche which contains a figure of William Goddard; above this is a 2-light window, lighting an attic, now disused. Below the niche is a stone tablet with the date 1627 and an inscription. On either side of the tablet and below the windows are 2 stones, one with the arms of the Fishmongers' Company, the other with those of Goddard. Against the north wall of the open entrance passage is an iron-bound alms post, above which is a tablet inscribed 'Hee that giveth to the poor lendeth to the Lord", surmounted by the date 1638. On either side of the gable is a one-bay section of one and a half storeys; the upper level is faced with tiling; each level has a 2-light window. A chimney abuts the gabled section on each side. On each side of these are one-storey almshouses with four 2-light windows and 2 chimneys. Chapel interior: 4-bay nave and chancel separated by a fine Jacobean screen. The central opening is round-headed with spandrels carved with scrolls within a square architrave. The upper part is divided on either side into 4, small, round-headed openings carried on flat balusters with shaped brackets, carrying a moulded cornice. The west window to the Chancel is of 5 trefoiled lights with elaborate tracery under a pointed head; on either side is a window of 3-cinquefoiled lights with tracery under a 4-centred head. The roof is of 4-framed bays of queen post trusses with moulded caps and bases to the posts; double purlins with moulded, arch-braced collars with quatrefoils in the spandrels, The famous painting in the Tate Gallery, called the Harbour of Refuge, by Frederick Walker, ARA, depicts the Quadrangle, centre sundial, and front of Chapel. V.C.H., Vol.III, p.93 (with illustrations), B.O.E. (Berkshire), p.101.

Listing NGR: SU9024779395

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 93
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 101

National Grid Reference: SU9019479367


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2015 at 10:23:31.